Netherlands' Klaas-Jan Huntelaar disappointed with substitute role against Brazil

Huntelaar


The Schalke striker was benched for the international friendly against Brazil and has expressed his disappointment with the lack of faith shown in him

Netherlands attacker Klaas-Jan Huntelaar has expressed his disappointment with national team coach Bert van Marwijk's decision to leave him on the bench in Saturday's 0-0 friendly draw against Brazil.

Huntelaar has netted an impressive 10 goals in his last six starts for Oranje, but this was not enough to convince Van Marwijk as the Dutch tactician gave Arsenal's Robin van Persie the nod instead.

"I was hoping for a little more faith in me following my performances after the 2010 World Cup. You always want to play when you make such a long trip to Brazil and I really expected to play," Huntelaar said to NUsport.

"I did not ask the coach for an explanation, but I am obviously disappointed. All I can do is continue to do my utmost and hope for the best. It is a pretty annoying situation, though."

Huntelaar came off the bench at half-time in the match against the South Americans, but was unable to make an impact. The 27-year-old striker could however start in the friendly against Uruguay on Wednesday evening.