Milan defender Marek Jankulovski has announced his retirement from football at the age of 34

Milan defender Marek Jankulovski
Milan defender Marek Jankulovski has announced his retirement from football at the age of 34.

The Czech Republic defender decided to hang up his boots after seeing his chances limited at San Siro this season.

“We had a very deep squad this season, there were 31 players, while only 11 could play at a time,” Jankulovski told Milan Channel.

“It wasn’t easy to make everyone play, so some inevitably had to sit out, but the important thing was to keep everyone involved, let it be a starter, a substitute or someone who watched the games from the stands.

“Coming to Italy from the Czech Republic was a big thing, not everyone has the chance to do it. And I lasted 11 years, six of which I spent at Milan, playing lots of games and being part of many victories. The beginning was not easy, but then everything was marvelous.

“Italy is my second homeland now, as is Milan my second home, but things come to an end. Fortunately, the memories remain and looking back on what I accomplished I realize all the great things I could do at Milan.”

“I don’t know, but I definitely won’t begin a coaching career. I wouldn’t mind working as a sports director or maybe as an agent to work with young lads and give back to football.”

The former Czech Republic international amassed 158 appearances for Milan after arriving from Udinese, while he represented the national team no less than 77 times.